RE: Echo

Dave,

Yes, Echo's feature set is pretty much finalized.  There is a great deal of
work going on right now to get the S-band transmitter built and to get the
various layers of the software working. We are also trying to get the AMSAT
integration lab at NASA Goddard ready for us to reoccupy.

I have presented the latest information of Echo at the AMSAT-DC Spring
meeting, at the AMSAT Forum in Dayton and at the AMSAT-SA Annual Symposium.
I have written the third Echo status update article that will appear in the
Jul/Aug Journal and the Summer CQ/VHF.

A short summary of features includes:
. Mode V/U, L/S and HF/U Operation. Modes V/S, L/U and HF/S are also
possible.
. Analog operation including FM voice.
. Digital modes. Store and forward operation is planned. Many speeds are
possible but 9.6, 38.4, 57.6K and 76.8Kbps are the most likely.
. PSK31 repeater mode using 10-meter SSB uplink and UHF FM downlink.
. Four VHF receivers and two UHF high power 8-Watt transmitters.
. Can be configured for simultaneous voice and data.
. Has a multi-band, multi-mode receiver.
. Can be configured with geographical personalities.
. Advanced power management system.
. Digital Voice Recorder (DVR).
. Active magnetic attitude control.

I have made a point of keeping the membership fully informed on the status
of Echo. We were forced to eliminate or scale back some of the payloads due
to a lack of builders. It takes a tremendous amount of dedication and
commitment to build even a small subsystem for a satellite, no matter how
small the satellite.  Even so, we are going to have some exciting
capabilities on Echo and significant content has been provided by volunteer
labor from AMSAT members.

Rick
W2GPS