Yes I got it backwards L is EARTH-SPACE sri!

Sri guys, evidently my chemical ratio of caffeine-alcohol is off...  :-)

Amateur is secondary status worldwide between 1260-1300 MHz.
Probably the EARTH-to-SPACE requirement comes from the Primary worldwide
allocation of Earth Exploration-Satellite (active) and Space Research
(active)  which I believe refers to imaging and other bistatic radar
techniques.  If this is correct, an L-band DOWNLINK would potentially cause
harmful interference to that service (as they're trying to listen for the
reflections).
In fact, international footnote 5.282 says that administrations authorizing
amateur satellite use of 1260-1270MHz must immediately eliminate any
interference to other (primary) services in that segment.  So we're on a
short leash as it is.

5650-5670MHz are in the exact same category as 1260-1300MHz.