Re: Mode-B vs Mode-J VERSUS Mode-S

I would recommend more smaller satellites and less "do-everything" birds.
For the obvious reasons:  Launch opportunity, cost, time to completion,
reliability.  Likewise diversity in organizations building ham sats...just
coordinate so they can all coexist!
<<

Hello Ed...very thoughtful reply in a discussion that has been pretty
thoughtfully done.  I've been thinking about this since the thread started
and the thought came to mind.  My reply is to you and the rest of the board
but its not directed or to rebute anything you wrote.

I wonder how many amateurs would put up "average" towers (50-65 feet) with
average to large high hf bands on them, or go to the trouble to errect a
"better then average" antenna on the lower bands if the reality was that the
band could go away almost at anytime and the equipment would sit unused
until some future date when the "bands" were reactivated?

We can all deal with propagation problems on teh HF bands just like we deal
with satellite windows...but imagine that 20 closed for a couple of years
just totally dead...who would go to the time and expense to put the "sticks"
up.

Thats what I think is keeping numbers small.  I dont want to rehash the
AO-40 decision but a long time elapsed between AO-13 and 40 and thats when
numbers fell off.  Now most non satellite hams I know are reluctant to make
the effort (the cost is trivial to their income levels) and spend the time
when the linear birds are essentially a one note Joann.

Within a 1 mile radius of my house there are 6 sticks between 50-65 feet
tall.  All have better then average beams, three have good to excellent 6
meters on them as well.  All have good to better then average low band gear,
all have BUD's (7-14 feet), all are computer literate, all have gear that
will transmit on 70cm SSB.  1 guy is a 144 weak signal nut.   1 (me) are
into the birds.  All have heard or used the sats from my station, all have
been offered converted brand new Drakes.

Three of the hams are over 60, 1 is 40ish (me), the rest are 30 something.
All are very active.  And to  a person their line is sort of like "if AO-40
dies tomorrow how long until its replaced."  I bet that feeling is pretty
generic to the rest of the active ham population.

What I think that the sat community needs is a pretty good string of
continuous operation of 1 or maybe 2 modes that are pretty "generic" read
SSB/CW.  Then I bet you see the numbers come back up.  Thats why I think the
FM birds are so popular...the gear is easy of course but their are a couple
of them.

As for all this talk of new modulation methods...notice how busy PANAmsat
is?

Robert