Re: Mode-B vs Mode-J VERSUS Mode-S

Amateur is secondary status worldwide between 1260-1300 MHz.
Probably the space-to-earth requirement comes from the Primary worldwide
allocation of Earth Exploration-Satellite (active) and Space Research
(active)  which I believe refers to imaging and other bistatic radar
techniques.  If this is correct, an L-band uplink would potentially cause
harmful interference to that service (as they're trying to listen for the
reflections).
In fact, international footnote 5.282 says that administrations authorizing
amateur satellite use of 1260-1270MHz must immediately eliminate any
interference to other (primary) services in that segment.  So we're on a
short leash as it is.

5650-5670MHz are in the exact same category as 1260-1300MHz.

At 18:09 2003-06-19, Jon Ogden wrote:
>OK.  Thanks.  I knew it was something like that.  But is L band allocated
>world wide to amateurs?
>
>Jon
>
>On Thursday, Jun 19, 2003, at 19:52 America/Chicago, Scott Townley wrote:
>
>>Don't know the true origin, but it's codified in the FCC rules that the
>>amateur/satellite segment at L-band is space-to-earth only.
>-------------------------------------
>Jon Ogden
>NA9D (ex: KE9NA)
>
>Citizen of the People's Democratic Republik of Illinois
>
>Life Member: ARRL, NRA
>Member:  AMSAT, DXCC
>
>Ham Radio Webpage: http://www.qsl.net/na9d   <- Updated on 1/12/03!!!
>Digital Photography Page: http://homepage.mac.com/jogden/Photography.html
>
>"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
>
>        - Oscar Wilde

Scott Townley NX7U
Gilbert, AZ  DM43di
http://members.cox.net/nx7u