Re: Mode-B vs Mode-J VERSUS Mode-S

Ed,

You make a very salient point.  That's an excellent idea and I think it
could be done w/o excessive cost either to build or to operate.

If you could get an orbit like RS-15 or even at a level like the GPS
satellites, you could have a large coverage area.  I know the Van Allen
Belt prohibits a range of orbits.  But the GPS birds I think are just
below it and the typical LEO is far below that.  Your idea is really
quite good.

Plus, it's kind of fun to see and work "over the horizon" contacts with
the birds using HF when you get weird HF propagation modes.

73,

Jon
NA9D

On Thursday, Jun 19, 2003, at 17:19 America/Chicago, Edward R. Cole
wrote:

> But first I feel that the next step in ease to bring new hams or
> provide
> sat opportunity to those who want it simple is the 10m/2m SSB
> Transponder
> Sat.  One in Meo would be my thinking.  Mode-A is not too hard for a
> ham to
> equip for.  Currently all of the mode-A birds are gone!

-------------------------------------
Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC

Ham Radio Webpage: http://www.qsl.net/na9d   <- Updated on 1/12/03!!!
Digital Photography Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/jogden/Photography.html

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original
dimensions."

                 - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.