Re: Mode-B vs Mode-J

Steve,

First of all, I know you are a good conservative American.  The
conservative political philosophy is rooted in the fact that you can be
better and that America is the land of opportunity and whatever you can
dream you can do.  Maybe that's not just a conservative philosophy but
is common to all of us regardless of political bent  :-).

So why not apply that same philosophy to ham radio?  For crying out
loud.  To get on Mode S, you only need to spend about $150 or less!  To
get on mode U/V you need a lot more.  Both need an all mode radio.
Both need a UHF antenna.  But a good 2m CP satellite antenna bought new
costs a lot more than $150.

The concept that microwaves can't be done cheaply is just not that
accurate.  I agree that as you add band on band on band, then it makes
a difference and it adds up.  But if you are a sat op, you've generally
already got boatloads of money in your station anyhow unless you just
operate UO-14 with an HT and an arrow.

73,

Jon
NA9D

On Thursday, Jun 19, 2003, at 17:25 America/Chicago, Mike Olbrisch
wrote:

> Here go the $$$ again.  Mode-S.  Mode-L.  Mode-X.  Mode-K.
>
> Mode-RICHMANSHOBBY.  Mode-GOODBY.
>
> Great way to bring in the fresh newcomers and keep the
> fixed-income old timers.  Make them spend lots of $$$ on
> new stuff.  Works EVERY time.
Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC

Ham Radio Webpage: http://www.qsl.net/na9d   <- Updated on 1/12/03!!!
Digital Photography Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/jogden/Photography.html

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

        - Oscar Wilde