RE: Mode-B vs Mode-J

> > This is why I want L Band (1.2ghz) to be the uplink and U
> > Band (70cm) to be the downlink.
>
> Here go the $$$ again.  Mode-S.  Mode-L.  Mode-X.  Mode-K.
>
> Mode-RICHMANSHOBBY.  Mode-GOODBY.

Hmm, for me, V/U is _much_ more expensive than something like C/X?  Why?
Becuase I don't already have V/U gear, and V/U requires a lot more in the
wau of space and mounting hardware than a couple of home brew converters.

Hmm, let's see:

C/X would probably cost me between $500 and $1000 to setup (on the cheap)

V/U would cost the same (instead of converters and dishes, money would be
spent on amps and Yagis - in both cases, I need suitable SSB exciters).
However, add another $300,000... You see, I need to buy a suitable piece of
real estate to put the antennas up onto, whereas for C/X, I can just stick a
tripod in the back yard. :)

Expense is relative to one's situation, and the microwave bands have a lot
of attractions for me from a practical PoV.