From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of Edward R. Cole
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 6:09 PM
To: Gunther Meisse; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] New "Bird Builders"

At 01:39 PM 6/18/2003 -0400, Gunther Meisse wrote:
>Jon & Jeff & all members:
>A new crop of bird builders? How about an "AMSAT Summer Space Camp"?
>Team up with an organization like one of the Universities or the Navy
>who have an active bird building program. We host he Summer Camp at the

>University, cooperatively develop the curriculum, make some money for
>the AMSAT budget, and bring along some young people who might become
>out next builders. Make the Camp available to anyone, in say the High
>School level, with special emphasis on the schools that have
>participated in the ARISS program. The Camp would be 10 days to 2
>weeks, in a campus environment, with time spent in the classroom and in

>the lab where actual birds were being built. A portion of the
>curriculum would include sessions on the basics of Amateur Radio, how
>to get your license, orbital math & physics, construction limitations
>and protocol, and hopefully some personal time with a seasoned bird
>builder. Take-homes would include study guides for your ham ticket, a
>student copy of NOVA (or such) which they could put on their home
>computer and show all their friends, pictures of them in the spacecraft

>lab, placing their name on the spacecraft that will someday soon be in
>orbit, etc, etc... This could be a destiny setting event for young
>people!!! Ok all you ham, teachers, builders, and ARISS volunteers,
>start thinking about this.. The relationship with a university is ideal

>since they have the physical structure to accommodate the participants,

>and the prestige to help attract and publicize them. I think they would

>jump at the concept. It smacks of potential students for the
>University. The tuition would cover the university's expenses and
>provide a profit center for AMSAT, and would set the stage for future
>bird builders. I think the Space Camp concept was a success at NASA
>Huntsville.. Have not heard much about it in recent years, so I am not
>sure if it still happens. Perhaps one of us who is associated with NASA

>could find out and share observations.
>Just one more rung in a very tall ladder.
>Gunther
>W8GSM

Gunther,

Not a bad idea!  But I would include college students.  Bob Bruninga's
program is at the college level and this has great potential bring young
technogists into ham satellite world.  Not only does it bring youth into
the field but good prospects for designers and builders of the next
generation of ham sats!  College students have the level of education to
be able to be entry-level designers.

Not to discourage HS level programs as they also feed newcomers into ham
radio.

The other benefit is this ham radio experience can encourage young
people to technical careers, another selling point for the overall
continuance of the hobby {I know because my career was the direct
outgrowth of being a ham at 14}.

73, Ed - AL7EB
first lic Nov. 1958...KN8MWA
Grad: BS-Math/EE Mich State Univ 1968
employed with JPL/NASA 1972-1979
...and now looking toward retirement in 2010..:-)