Re: Financial support

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 02:49 pm, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> IF SSB is so popular, how come we hear people all the time complaining
> about investing in all the gear to work SSB up and down and then finding
> no one to talk to on Fuji's, AO-7 or the RS birds?
>
> Yes, we would all love to have a broadband transponder full of SSB QSO's
> but if no one uses them except on Field Day, it is not a good
> investment...  What everyone doesnt like about FM is that it is TOO
> POPULAR!
>
> Doesnt take much to figure that one out...
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,
   the RS birds have been dead for awhile... ao7 although back
couldn't/shouldn't be termed a functional sat so what do you have left?

 lets face it you have to be pretty dedicated to chase the Fuji's for 15mins
of SSB use...

I'm not sure UO-14 is a good investment either,sure everyone can hit it, and
use it 1 QSO at a time... of course your call ,name and grid isn't much of a
QSO now is it? and how does this bring in new blood  when the newbie gets
stepped on or chewed out and called lid  when he does something like a newbie
would?
 If were going to stay FM then at least a multi channel FM bird would be an
improvement...
 anymore than 2 people trying to use UO-14 makes it packed... :-)

it seems to me the only real future is  HEO birds with long duration,  the
trick is to build them such that they are still relatively easy to use.

73
Kevin WA6FWF