Re: Financial support

On Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003, at 16:49 America/Chicago, Bob Bruninga
wrote:

>> ... designated my pittance to go to ANYTHING but a two-user FM bird
>> and
>> its attendant problems...I've heard no squabbles at all concerning the
>> ssb/cw/digital birds to begin to compare to the wrangling about
>> communications (OR RATHER LACK OF IT!!) on the FMers.
>
> IF SSB is so popular, how come we hear people all the time complaining
> about investing in all the gear to work SSB up and down and then
> finding
> no one to talk to on Fuji's, AO-7 or the RS birds?
>
> Yes, we would all love to have a broadband transponder full of SSB
> QSO's
> but if no one uses them except on Field Day, it is not a good
> investment...  What everyone doesnt like about FM is that it is TOO
> POPULAR!

Bob,

I think the point that Dave might be trying to make is that there are a
LOT of people doing single channel FM birds.  AMSAT doesn't need to do
one.  Let the universities or the foreign countries do it.  The
national ham societies of the wealthier countries in the world should
do larger and more capable birds.  Echo is an exception in that it is
more than a single channel FM repeater.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC

Ham Radio Webpage: http://www.qsl.net/na9d   <- Updated on 1/12/03!!!
Digital Photography Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/jogden/Photography.html

"It takes as much stress to be a success as it does to be a failure."

                 - Emilio James Trujillo