Re: new ham

You took already the first step and that was to find the amsat page. Browse
through the site and look at the uplink and downlink frequencies (and
respective modes) of the available satellites and determine what your next
step will be: all-mode or fm radio. the absolute cheapest is probably 2m and
a tnc for digital packet through PCsat and ISS (when they are both
operating) or a dual band handheld for UO-14 fm voice (2m uplink, 70cm
downlink).

The elders here can help you better than I.

Welcome to ham radio.

Patrick...KB8RTZ...