From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of K5AXW
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 11:40 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Financial support

Jumping into the fray...

What is not clear to me is how AMSAT-NA's mission is being executed
relative to being a non-profit entity (this could be my fault for not
digging deeper but the impression suggests this).  This is normally
associated with a strong community service element (needs to be in order
to keep 501 (c) 3 status).

To achieve success with large fundraising projects, there needs to be a
powerful contribution to the community service aspect to justify donor,
grant and foundation support.  Member support is typically integrated
into this process as anchor large donors can come from the membership.
The need for assistance from professional fundraising experts cannot be
overstated.

What I see missing from the threads is the huge education potential for
educating and demonstrating space science and communications via
satellite (in addition to ISS).  Both developing projects (Echo & Eagle)
can support this mission (along with the existing satellites).
Additionally, the benefits of international exposure and cultural
exchange can be addressed. The fallout of the program would be prospects
for new Hams and AMSAT members.

I suggest the board develop an execution strategy for creating an
active, recurring program for benefiting the education system.  Once you
get into this system with reasonable visibility, you gain access to
large donor opportunities that can support our objectives.  There is
sufficient technical expertise in AMSAT (and external) to solve the
execution requirements of the ground station equipment needed to
accomplish this goal.

Without the community service emphasis and the scope of our projects
being primarily for the benefits of the members, it is hard to realize
how donors would want to participate (other than member donors).  Lets
expand the horizon - both literally and in our organization.

73s, Bill - K5AXW
(BTW - Served on multiple boards of non-profits so I have seen this
issue
before!)