New "Bird Builders"

Jon & Jeff & all members:
A new crop of bird builders? How about an "AMSAT Summer Space Camp"?
Team up with an organization like one of the Universities or the Navy who
have an active bird building program. We host he Summer Camp at the
University, cooperatively develop the curriculum, make some money for the
AMSAT budget, and bring along some young people who might become out next
builders.
Make the Camp available to anyone, in say the High School level, with
special emphasis on the schools that have participated in the ARISS program.
The Camp would be 10 days to 2 weeks, in a campus environment, with time
spent in the classroom and in the lab where actual birds were being built. A
portion of the curriculum would include sessions on the basics of Amateur
Radio, how to get your license, orbital math & physics, construction
limitations and protocol, and hopefully some personal time with a seasoned
bird builder. Take-homes would include study guides for your ham ticket, a
student copy of NOVA (or such) which they could put on their home computer
and show all their friends, pictures of them in the spacecraft lab, placing
their name on the spacecraft that will someday soon be in orbit, etc, etc...
This could be a destiny setting event for young people!!!
Ok all you ham, teachers, builders, and ARISS volunteers, start thinking
about this..
The relationship with a university is ideal since they have the physical
structure to accommodate the participants, and the prestige to help attract
and publicize them. I think they would jump at the concept. It smacks of
potential students for the University. The tuition would cover the
university's expenses and provide a profit center for AMSAT, and would set
the stage for future bird builders.
I think the Space Camp concept was a success at NASA Huntsville.. Have not
heard much about it in recent years, so I am not sure if it still happens.
Perhaps one of us who is associated with NASA could find out and share
observations.
Just one more rung in a very tall ladder.
Gunther
W8GSM