Moore's Law & SSB radions

Tony Langdon wrote:

Well, maybe it depends on who your audience is? SSB turns me away, because of the requirement for multiple SSB transceivers and large antennas for high
orbiting sats, not to mention the "octopus" factor. :-) SSB gear is still analog in nature and not subject to the Moore's Law influences that digital systems generally are, so the prices remain high (SDRs may be the breakthrough we need here.

SSB radios may not be subject to exactly Moore's Law, but they have for sure gotten cheaper in real dollars.  I replaced my TS-440s, Icom 271H and 471H with a single Kenwood TS-2000.  The 440s (new) cost me $1,250 something like 15-20 years ago.  I picked up the Icom's (used) for about the same price five or six years ago.  Just over a year ago I got a new TS-2000 for $1,800.

After selling all the other gear my out of pocket expense was minimal and I reduced the clutter factor by two-thirds.  I got a radio with much better receive performance on vhf & uhf (I proved that during the June VHF QSO Party this past weekend) and a number of other benefits.  Sounds like a win-win to me.

Have you heard me on AO-40?  No, but it's not the fault of the radio.  I simply haven't had the time to get the BBQ dish and downconverter up on the tower.  Anybody in the central Massachusetts area who could come by and give me a hand?

Dave Reinhart
wa6ilt@amsat.org