Re: Financial support - REPLY -

Jeff,

I have to agree with you here.  While I think that the current crop of
designers/builders in the USA is a group of very smart and intelligent
men, you are correct that they are getting up in years.  What surprised
me as well when I saw the list of Eagle builders was that I don' t
think I saw any real new blood.  Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't
think I ever saw any appeal for help in the journal or on the BB.  I've
wondered what you have to do to be in the "builder's circle."  Not
saying I'd want to, but short of guys like Bruninga and the
Universities building LEOs, there's not much elmering of younger folks
for building sats.  Even if some newcomers who don't know squat could
sit and watch Eagle being built and learn from the older hams, that
would be a benefit.  Maybe it's happening, I don't know.

AMSAT should start some sort of program to mentor/elmer new builders
and actively invite more participation like that.  And I think this can
be done with nearly zero funding.  We've got to have some more rocket
scientists here than we think.

73,

Jon
NA9D

On Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003, at 18:52 America/Chicago, <jeff@ke9v.com>
wrote:

> Even more pressing (in my opinion) is the lack of technology transfer
> from one generation to the next. If you were to gather all the "key"
> people in the _entire world_ who are working on amateur satellite
> projects, any of us could afford to buy them all dinner at a nice
> restaurant. There are precious few of them. And if you pay close
> attention, you will see that most of them have been retired from their
> "real" careers for years ... in a nutshell, the folks who have the
> knowledge and ability to lead satellite projects, design satellites,
> build satellites, and then get them launched is a very tiny number and
> they are getting on in years. What happens to amateur radio in space
> when they are gone?
-------------------------------------
Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC

Ham Radio Webpage: http://www.qsl.net/na9d   <- Updated on 1/12/03!!!
Digital Photography Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/jogden/Photography.html

"Between Stimulus and Response is our greatest freedom - the freedom to
choose."

                                 - Dr. Steven Covey