Re: Nominations for the AMSAT Board of Directors

I support developing both LEO as well as the high orbiting satellites.
Getting our satellites into orbit is a delicate ballet of finances,
hardware, volunteers, launch opportunities and assessment of our current
assets both in orbit and under development.  It would be counter-productive
to rush a large GTO payload to completion only to sit waiting for a launch
while letting a viable LEO launch opportunity pass us by.  While LEOs may
provide an easy entry into satellite operating, I believe it is the long
access periods and DX potential of the high orbiting satellites that hold
the greatest potential for convincing more of our fellow amateurs to view
satellite operations as a viable communications technique and more than a
curiosity or novelty.

It also appears to me that much of the resistance to Echo comes from the
mistaken perception that it will just be another single channel FM
satellite.  Both the May/June and Nov/Dec 2002 AMSAT Journals include
excellent descriptions by Rick, W2GPS.  Copies of the articles are available
on the web at
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/echo/article-02-11.html
With two possibly three transmitters and up to six receivers on board, Echo
has many possible operating modes including PSK31, Packet, CW, Voice already
as well as potential new multi-user digital TDMA modes.

Lee McLamb-KU4OS