RE: Future Sats: L/U

Personally, I'm finding less interest in analog SSB sats.  Why?  Because the
equipment requirements are rather expensive and link budgets are marginal,
unless you install an antenna that's not really practical for me to use.

LEOs are fun and easy to use, but down here, getting traffic is an issue.
99% of contacts are VK-VK or VK-ZL, with the odd more "interesting" place.

I'm inclined to be more interested in the digital approach.  Could the power
of a modern PC be harnessed to do the DSP side of a digital satellite comms
system?  How much/little hardware do we need?  Something that requires a
modest antenna, a bit of hardware and not require an octopus to drive (2
VFOs, rotators - I'm not going to be one in a position to run auto
everything for a number of years).

Anyway, for me, UO-14 passes by at lousy times for me, RS-12/13 is dead and
AO-40's not yet viable, so I've been a bit quiet on the sats.  Other than
APRS, I don't have a lot of interest in the current data sats...