Future Sats: L/U

I got into ham radio because as a kid I could "listen" to other hams on my
old SW radios. That got me hooked and many many years later I became a ham.

The problem with AO-40 in my opinion is that I can not listen to it without
a lot of new gear. Although that was not too expensive the "idea" of S band
was the problem.

Most new highend base radios today are all mode. Most have the ability to
go upto L Band (1.2ghz) but not to S Band (2.4ghz). Maybe someday they will
but now they don't. Most of these rigs do NOT come with the L band module
installed because of price and limited use to a ham today. But if there was
a sat up there in space with a high orbit (easier to track) that
TRANSMITTED on U Band (70 cm) where all these rigs could "LISTEN" to it ...
hams could use their existing radio and antenna to LISTEN to the new
satellite. THEN if they got hooked and could see that they could HEAR it,
then they might opt to buy the L Band module so they could TALK to it.

I will contribute to a new Amsat sat project BUT only to one that does the
above, as its primary mission capability. I believe it will be the best way
to get hams to join the SSB part of amateur satellites in the future... and
to join AMSAT. I contributed a good deal to AO-40.

Could Project Eagle be reworked to do this?

W4SCO
Amsat Member