Re: Financial support

Paul and All:

Been quietly reading the mail on this topic, so thought I would chime in.

Although I do not share Paul's feeling about the President's Club Fund, I
do see his logic for funds that earmark specific projects (then we
essentially vote with our dollars).  I suspect if you send a check to Amsat
stipulating that is to be used only for a given project they would honor
your wishes (anyone in the board wish to verify this?).  I believe there
was a P3D Fund, so why not Echo and Eagle Funds?  I would like to see both
Eagle and P3E fly (and Echo, too).  Perhaps they could be positioned
120-degrees from AO-40 to provide 100% coverage of Earth...wouldn't that be
something?

Dues certainly help support Amsat but mostly go to overhead of the
organization.  I sufficient numbers of hams were to join then it would make
an impact, but probably not enough for fully funding projects.

Non-Profits and Charities are having a difficult time with fall off of
contributions in these hard times.  Amsat must continue to actively seek
funding in spite of this.

Interestingly, the SETI-League which I volunteer for (as well as Amsat) is
having rough times.  So Amsat is not alone in its struggle to find funding!
 I applaud those hard at work to raise funds (and those who contribute).  I
also think one should examine the may ways to serve.  In the recent Amsat
Journal an appeal went out for more volunteering at hamfests (especially
large ones where that currently have no Amsat Booth...remember you are the
people that staff booths!).  This has the greatest potential for recruiting
new hams to the satellite ranks.

Speeches on the Amsat-bb largely are "preaching to the choir"...you need to
take it to the "street".  Hamfests and Ham Clubs are great opportunities to
win over new people and expand funding (demo's like FD, too).  Have you
stood up to speak at your club recently?  If you volunteer as a Field Op,
club officers often will announce you to make a statement.  You become
known as "Mr Amsat" and thus gain some authority to change some minds and
influence others toward ham sats.  Your voice is heard as the "truth" about
the topic.

As am adding an XYL to the ham shack this month, my travel budget will be
smaller this year.  But I may do a re-write and upgrade of my AO-40 paper
for inclusion in the proceedings (Toronto).  Or perhaps it should go into
the Journal?  If I cannot attend then I can contribute somehow.

And finally: "support the organization, be a member, participate,
volunteer, get on your favorite satellites"!

73, Ed - AL7EB
Field Op in Alaska