RE: Financial support - REPLY -

Paul,
In an organization as broadly based as AMSAT it is necessary to serve
many constituencies. I hear you loud and clear, but remember, the
administrative work of AMSAT-NA is the work of Eagle and Echo. It is the
framework that is absolutely necessary for all of us to see our
particular interests served. I, like you, am very interested in the
likes of AO-40, Eagle, and the new German P3 HEO birds, however we must
remember that there are those AMSAT members who live for the next pass
of a LEO. As they say, "Different strokes for different folks".
Much of the problem is really based on the money, not the project
concept. Quite honestly, that is why I am running for the Board of
AMSAT. I think we need to make a real concerted effort to review and
rethink our funding sources. We basically need from $500,000.00 to
$1,000,000.00 more per year to do what we could be doing, including a
constellation of LEOs which could take the local repeater to space, to
new innovations in digital birds, to more HEO birds with the front edge
payloads that attract certain members, to new concepts of Internet
Interface-to-space to attract the young who were brought up on the
Internet. Every one of these items is number one to some portion of our
membership. Our single biggest cost is launch and the only thing that
will fix that, in the foreseeable future, is MONEY. AMSAT tries to
develop concepts that attract certain slivers of the membership. The
"Presidents Club" is just one of them. In my case, I thought it was such
a good idea I was the first person to sign up. If it gets me to
participate and send money, it is a good idea.. I will take your
recommendations to heart. There is no reason we can't structure a giving
system that is project focused. United Way learned that some years ago
when increasing numbers of people would just not give unless they could
be specific in the application of their funds.
As the old politicians say: "If elected to the AMSAT Board, such
concepts will be right on the top of my list!"
Thanks for all your support over the years.
Gunther Meisse
W8GSM
AMSAT LM: #594