RE: Low Cost GPS Handheld?

I highly recommend the Garmin E-Trex Venture.

I prefer Garmin over Magellan for several reasons.

The Garmin is smaller, weighs less, and has a longer battery life, plus you
can operate it easily on one hand.  The Magellans work best if you use both
hands.  It has to do with the position of the buttons.

I am sure someone will point you to the basic Garmin E-Trex (yellow).
Unless you are strapped for cash, pass it by.

The Venture allows for longer (more meaningful) waypoint names, longer track
and route names, double the number of legs per track (this IS a big deal if
you track back), has a much better resolution display, and comes with the
data cable, which is an option on the basic yellow.

When you add it all up, the Venture is a great choice.  I have used one for
hiking hundreds of miles.  It has not disappointed me in the least.  I keep
it in a pager pouch, on the shoulder harness of my gear.  I can direct you
to a photo of this if you like.

BTW, I use a program called ExpertGPS for doing topo maps and Arial photos.
And I sometimes use VisualGPS for refining my position.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Mike.  KD9KC
El Paso, TX.
Volunteer - Franklin Mountain State Park.