Re: Downconverter for AO40 ?

Doug Faunt wrote:

Has anyone installed a low-dropout regulator into an AIDC converter? It seems to me that would be a good improvement.

Wayne replies:

It's easier just to bypass the TSI downconverter's internal 12V regulator.  Then you can power it directly from the "preamp power" voltage on the coax.  Recommended by K5GNA, and it works great for me and many others.  The only potential problem occurs in cold weather, where there is less power dissipation in the downconverter casting, so it doesn't stabilize the temperature as easily.  This can be improved by putting pipe insulation around the downconverter, and/or adding a PTC thermistor to the crystal.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA