Re: kb2m@comcast.net

From: "Edward R. Cole" <al7eb@ptialaska.net>
> Two more cents!  Jeff:
> If I check my bag at my shuttle airport (read "very small", one airline)
> the bag gets x-rayed at the next stop out of my view.  They insist that it
> be unlocked, else they will cut it open for inspection!  ALL major airline
> NOW advise you to this affect.  Caveat Emptor!
>  I would think after
> >9/11 that the baggage area of an airport is VERY secure, with live video
> >recording/monitoring going on in all areas 24/7.
> After January 2003, new mandatory inspection of all checked luggage is
> enforced in the USA.

I've flown 3 times since January 10 (Seattle, Minnapolis, and Orlando, all
from Philidelphia) and was only checked once. That was only one way, in
Philly,and I unlocked, and then locked the bag when the inspection was done.
So 1 out of 6 times since 1/10/2003.....

> VERY LUCKY!  In pre 9/11 2001 I had my luggage delayed (lost) 3-times in 4
> trips...twice in one flight!  On that one they lost if for two days and
the
> brand new DEM 3456 xvtr in my bag was gone...pouch zipper wide open!
> Everything else in the compartment intact...uhuh!  The only way I got
> compensated (took six months) was to declare it a mechanical parts kit!
> shhh "not electronics"!  So I guess maybe Alaska is considered
> "offshore"...hmm connected to the same continent as the lower-48!
> Anchorage Airport was where the problem was!

I guess I'm just lucky. One more point, I didn't say I'm 100% sure my bag's
aren't inspected behind the wall, but I've never found any evidence to think
that it has. I'm really locking my bag just for insurance that it doesn't
pop open during handling. Once again I feel that if it is sniffed for
explosives, and none are found, I don't think there is a reason for them to
open it.  Also As it is a standard lock, I'm sure they have a set of master
key's avaliable to check bag's with. There would not be a need to bust it
open...Anyway I think we all can agree that airport inspections aren't
consistent. So I guess there aren't any set rules to follow, other then your
own personal experiencies.

73 Jeff kb2m