Re: kb2m@comcast.net

Two more cents!  Jeff:

At 05:33 PM 6/12/03 -0400, Jeff Griffin wrote:
>  I check my bag locked. At some airport's I'm asked to open it. for
>inspection, this happens about 5% of the time.When this happens , I opened
>it watched the inspection, then re-locked it when done.

If I check my bag at my shuttle airport (read "very small", one airline)
the bag gets x-rayed at the next stop out of my view.  They insist that it
be unlocked, else they will cut it open for inspection!  ALL major airline
NOW advise you to this affect.  Caveat Emptor!

 I would think after
>9/11 that the baggage area of an airport is VERY secure, with live video
>recording/monitoring going on in all areas 24/7.

After January 2003, new mandatory inspection of all checked luggage is
enforced in the USA.

 I doubt anyone is going to
>mess with the checked bag's at that point!

Unless you are a terrorist and have just checked a time-bomb!  How the heck
does the TSA guy know what was done before you dropped it off?  Did your
taxi driver who loaded/unloaded your luggage wear a turban and talk with an
arabic accent???  Previously, little checked luggage was inspected on
domestic flights.

So the only problem I see is
>rough handling. I have logged over 250k miles since becoming a ham and only
>'lost' my bag once,  this was on 9/11. My bag was on another flight and  I
>had to pick up on the way home as air traffic was grounded all week. When I
>retrieved it all was intact.

VERY LUCKY!  In pre 9/11 2001 I had my luggage delayed (lost) 3-times in 4
trips...twice in one flight!  On that one they lost if for two days and the
brand new DEM 3456 xvtr in my bag was gone...pouch zipper wide open!
Everything else in the compartment intact...uhuh!  The only way I got
compensated (took six months) was to declare it a mechanical parts kit!
shhh "not electronics"!  So I guess maybe Alaska is considered
"offshore"...hmm connected to the same continent as the lower-48!
Anchorage Airport was where the problem was!

>  I now travel CONUS only, to fulfill my job requirement's, not offshore
>since before 9/11, so I can't speak for any procedures being done there. I'm
>not so sure the airline isn't responsible for any electronics. But I've
>never had a problem, so have filed no claim's. Or if this is true, perhaps
>one's homeowner's policy will cover?

Nope, sorry...got to buy a special policy!
Glad everyone else is lucky ;-)

73 Ed - AL7EB