Re: Downconverter for AO40 ?

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 18:48, Peter Moscatt wrote:

> I have an FT847 which obviously won't hear AO40 in
> it's standard form and wanting information on where I
> can get a suitable downconverter which will allow me
> to at least hear the bird.

There are several options to choose from, most of them are covered
extensively in the archives.

The 3 most common are the Surplus dc's available from K5GNA
(http://members.aol.com/k5gna).  I have 2 of the AIDC-3731's.

Down East Microwave (http://www.downeastmicrowave.com) has several low
noise figure dc's, these seem to be pretty popular as well.

And the old Drake 2880 (I think, not sure on the exact model #) is still
in use, they have a terrible noise figure though and require some form
of low noise preamp in front of them to be effective.

Also note that you will need some form of parabolic dish for this type
of endeavor.  The 3 ft bbq grill dish can be a good starter system, but
does not have enoug gain to hear the transponder noise floor, so you
won't be hearing everything possible.  I currently have one of these
dishes and a 1m aluminum spun dish from DH Satellite
(http://www.dhsatellite.com)

> Regards
> Peter VK4CCV

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out! :)

--
Ryan Butler <rbutler@tsss.org>
KB0JQO