Re: Observed AO-40 FEC coded telemetry ?

JJ1WTK, Kazu Sakamoto wrote:

> The waterfall pattern is so interesting. After the conventional A block,
> the many peaks around 1600Hz turned broad ones. I think it means the
> scrambler in the onboard FEC encoder works well.

Yes, I used the CCSDS-standard scrambler in my encoder. It sits between
the Reed-Solomon outer and convolutional inner codes. I originally tried
to avoid scrambling, but I found that it significantly improved symbol
tracking in the demodulator when the data consisted of lots of binary
zeroes.

Phil