Re: Batteries and airlines

I have carried my HT with telescopic Pryme AL-800 antenna and Mahana's HT along
with my cell phone, gps, digital camera, and battery charger all in the same
carry on bag. I have never had a problem with it before 911 or after 911. I
have carried it to Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Paris, and points stateside after
911.

I was only questioned once when in a Yellow Alert and I told them I was a ham.
They didn't even open the bag, just said we were wondering with all the
electronic devices you had.

I was also asked once by the airline counter person if I had any electronic
equipment with me. I said yes and started with digital camera and she said
that's okay. I did not go further and security didn't question me or check me
(that was the return trip from Spain).

I have never been asked to turn anything on. But one time in Atlanta, they did
swab the inside of the carry on bag and tested for explosive residue. Handed me
the bag and said thank you.

I have to stop wearing these Rockport casual shoes. They have a piece of metal
in the bottom of the shoe (can't feel it, didn't know it was there) but it
trips the metal detectors every time. They take away my shoes and check them
and bring them back. That is more of an inconvienence to me than all my
electronic stuff.

73...bruce

Bruce Paige, KK5DO

AMSAT VP-User Services & Awards Manager