Re: 23cm ERP for AO-40

At 08:40 AM 6/7/2003 -0500, Rick Vidmar - K9KK wrote:
>NO, you need a lot more.
>At full Apogee and squint less than 10 degrees, I find
>that 20 watts at the antenna is adequate.  My
>antenna is 18 DBIC.  (Or 20 watts into 21 DBI antenna.)
>As the squint approaches 20 degrees at full Apogee even that
>becomes marginal for SSB.  Still adequate for CW and RTTY though.
>Regards
>Rick

Rick (and Rolph, DK2ZF),

I wonder if this is the L1 or L2 uplink your experience is?  Mine was only
the 1269 uplink which Ihave heard is about 6dB harder to accomplish.  I
would be curious if you have any comment about 1268 vs 1269?  But your
observations agree with mine...1000w EIRP (min)!

73, Ed - AL7EB