Re: Beagle 2 Launched

"William Leijenaar" writes:

> There were also some things I didn't understand the purpose of...
>
> One is the music they needed to figure out its callsign ????

To understand several things about Beagle it is first necessary to understand
the sad (and shameful) state of space funding in the UK. At the beginning
there was no government money, period (and only a small amount later). So they
wanted publicity to get private money. The pop group provided the sound, sure,
but this also led to much more publicity (and people with experience in making
publicity). The same with the colours on a metal plate - I think these are to
calibrate the spectrometer (not the camera); after being switched off for all
the months of flight it must be checked again before use.

The Beagle story is that of a man who wants to do science on Mars and his
determination to get there (as we say) through hell or high water. What a
man !

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org