Beagle 2 Launched

Hi All,

  FYI, Beagle 2 was successfully launched yesterday. It is part of the ESA
Mars Excpress programme. It is due to reach Mars on Christams day 2003. From
the couple of web sites I have visited, I note that it has two downlinks,
one on 7GHz and one on 2.1 GHz. It has a 1.8 m dish.

  Does anyone intend attempting to monitor its signals? Also gleaned from
the webs sites is the fact that the solar panel should deploy approx 90 mins
after separation, and that the Beagle 2 lander will be "unclamped" from the
main spacecraft after 4 days (presumably at this time it will still be in
earth orbit ??)

  The two web sites I have found are :
http://sci.esa.int/marsexpress/ and
http://beagle2.open.ac.uk/index.htm

  Does anyone know of any other sources of more up to date/detailed info.

  For anyone who can get BBC TV, there was an excellent programme last night
(rather late), and part 2 is this evening (again rather late!)

73
Jim

Jim Heck G3WGM
Hon Sec AMSAT-UK