Re: Trying AO-40

On Monday, Jun 2, 2003, at 14:35 America/Chicago, Edward R. Cole wrote:

> What I haven't seen discussed here is the
> fact that not only is there Doppler due to the orbital movement of
> AO-40
> but there is earth rotational Doppler and all Doppler effects vary with
> your latitude.

Ed,

KB9CRY asked this same question the other day in his report of his
first successful DX contact.  And it is an interesting concept.

But can one assume that for a given position, you could fix your
reference plane on the earth and make the assumption that only the
satellite moves?  You would still be taking the rotation of the earth
into account as it would affect the resulting orbit of the satellite.
It would seem to be an easier analysis to have a fixed point of
reference and one moving one as opposed to two moving points.
Obviously, both move, but I think you could model it the way I
described.  Would that make it more complex or easier?  It make it
easier to visualize IMO.

73,

Jon
NA9D