Re: Trying AO-40

Don,

That is why the circular calculator is so nice....it estimates satellite
Doppler as a function of MA.  What I haven't seen discussed here is the
fact that not only is there Doppler due to the orbital movement of AO-40
but there is earth rotational Doppler and all Doppler effects vary with
your latitude.  The circular calculator probably doesn't take into account
earth rotation so there is a small error due to this.  Also we are only
taking into account S-band Doppler and your uplink has Doppler too.  The
complete mathematical problem is pretty complex!  Fortunately, 70cm Doppler
effect is much smaller so one can usually find themselves quickly if they
have the S-band tuned in.  L-band will have three times higher Doppler
effects!  K-Band is really a difficult one!!!

I'm not an orbital analyst so any experts are welcomed to wade into this
discussion...;-)

73 - Ed