Re: Trying AO-40

Here is a trick I learned a LONG time ago and it has never failed me for
mode US2:

1. Set your TX VFO to 435.667
2. Turn TRACKING VFO's OFF
3. Tune RX to beacon and peak antennas.

(Look at your tracking program for doppler...early part of pass, let's say
it's -21 kHz) Nominal beacon freq = 2401.321 (145.321 on 2m with d/c).

2401.321 - .021 doppler = 2401.300 Actual Beacon Freq.

4. Turn Tracking of VFO's back on (reverse).

5. QSY up the band at least 20 or 30 kHz. Listen for your self when you tx.
If you don't hear yourself right away (most of the time you will), Turn off
VFO Tracking and tune your RX up and down until you find yourself, zero in
and THEN turn VFO Tracking back on.

This may sound cumbersome, but it isn't...it takes a very few secs and works
every time.

The steps: (in order)

Set TX freq to 435.667 LSB
Turn off VFO Tracking.
Tune RX to Beacon
Turn VFO tracking back ON
QSY up the band well away from the beacon and find yourself.
(if requrired, move your receiver up and down a bit with tracking vfo's
off), then turn tracking back on. From this point on you can make minor
adjustements to your TX freq as things move about.

The key here is to get two things to agree:

1. TX uplink FIXED at 435.667...don't mess with it.
2. Find the Beacon and lock in the "pair"

Hope this helps. 73

...hasan, N0AN