Re: Trying AO-40

Jon (and others who have helped in private email):

I've "discovered" that AMSAT-DL's chart (that even claims to be updated 30
Jan 2001, post launch and post-"incident") and the DEM chart that AMSAT
NA's AO40 FAQ (dated 25 Aug 2002) recommends are both inaccurate, and
represent theoretical and/or pre-launch values, not post-launch
reality.  I'd sure expect AMSAT-DL and AMSAT NA (of all groups) to have
accurate charts (HINT, HINT), and/or at least clarify pre-launch specs vs.
post-launch reality.

Not wanting to be critical, but is 35 kHz off "fairly close"???  One could
easily clobber the beacon without knowing it at that kind of error, and
that's pretty far off to go searching for one's downlink I think.

So... I'm working on an HTML uplink/downlink chart for my own use (but will
share with the world).  Most agree on the (forbidden) "beacon uplink" of
435.667 (+/- 1 kHz or so), which tells me the formula is:

2836.990 - uplink = downlink

2836.990 MHz - 435.667 MHz = 2401.323 MHz.

Assuming this formula is valid for the entire passband, what is the usable
range of the passband(s)?

Also, are there conventions for where folks do CW vs SSB?

David, ky7dr