Re: Fried Drake downconverter fix?

On 31 May 2003 at 12:11, Ken Swaggart wrote:

> Well, I finally did it. Transmitted 50 Watts into my Drake 2880 this
> morning! Anyone have a web page with fixes for it? (Spare has been installed
> until the next smart move by the chief op.)
>
> 73,
> Ken, W7KKE

Join the club.
For circuit and info try

http://www.ghengineering.co.uk/g8ubn/drake/Drake1.jpg

He was an absolute goldmine for me, the transistors you most likey
need are a darlington pair nec2SC3357.
No longer available for me, I used Phillips BFQ19 works 100%.
The problem I had was the darlington config had great strife in
finding the burnt out one till got onto the above url.
Re using an unmodified drake at 123mhz and the FT847 CAREFUL
If you come out of satellite mode and forget and/or have 144-147 mhz
in memory and press the rotten mox button instead of the power button
POOF !

moral get some spare transistors you WILL one day cook the duck.
73 all ron vk5akj (acheyJ)