No Subject

Older systems used 5 to 40 MHz for the uplink and 50 to 750 for the
downlink.

The data channels end up fitting into a standard 6 MHz TV channel.  What
channels are used for data is determined by the CATV operator based on what
they use for TV, etc.  The data channels are assigned to the unused slots.
Each local trunk may be assigned one or more channels for data depending on
the users in that area.  When you use the cable modem, you share that
channel with the other users in your area.  This is why things slow down as
more and more people get on and use the system.  The head end equipment will
determine what channel your modem operates on.

Based on some of the comments my co-worker made, the modems won't do squat
w/o the head end equipment which is very complex and costly.  It's a similar
relationship to the cell phone and cell base station/switch.

I hope this helps, but I doubt that cable modems would be very useful for
the idea you suggested.  Probably easier to design a whole new system
yourself.

73,

Jon
NA9D