From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of Jim Walls
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 06:51
To: Amsat-BB
Subject: [amsat-bb] Serial port question

Hi guys,
	Yes, this really is a satellite related question although it
sounds
like a computer question.  I recently added a Windows XP based computer
here at the house that has only one physical serial port (as COM1) and a

modem (as COM2).  Because of all the radio and rotor controlling stuff,
I need at least 2 more serial ports.  There are three major options:
PCI serial port card(s)
USB to serial conversion adapter
External LAN based serial ports (separate box that lives on the LAN and
will provide apparent serial ports for any computer on the LAN).
Because I will need multiple devices operating simultaneously, a serial
port switch will not meet my needs

Any of you have any recommendations on the better way to do it?

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/