Re: Serial port question

On Saturday 31 May 2003 09:50, Jim Walls wrote:
> Hi guys,
> 	Yes, this really is a satellite related question although it sounds
> like a computer question.  I recently added a Windows XP based computer
> here at the house that has only one physical serial port (as COM1) and a
> modem (as COM2).  Because of all the radio and rotor controlling stuff,
> I need at least 2 more serial ports.  There are three major options:
> PCI serial port card(s)
> USB to serial conversion adapter
> External LAN based serial ports (separate box that lives on the LAN and
> will provide apparent serial ports for any computer on the LAN).
> Because I will need multiple devices operating simultaneously, a serial
> port switch will not meet my needs

My choice would be to add a PCI multi-port serial card.  XP is likely to
support this or drivers will be available from the OEM.

My second choice would be to use the USB-serial converter.  I know people that
have used these for other purposes, although in one instance it was a major
hair-pulling experience to get it to work.

Finally, I wouldn't bother with anything else.