Re: AO-40 " BBQ " dish versus Primestar Dish ??

Hey Jeff,

In hopefully another month or so, I'll be able to tell you for sure!
I've been using a BBQ dish and it's done an "adequate" job for AO-40
(please, no more BBQ wars people).  But I do want to have a better dish
so I obtained a P*.  It is definitely bigger than the BBQ.  Take the
few extra inches per side and calculate the area of the ellipse of the
P* compared to the area of the BBQ and you'll see the P* is a good bit
larger.  Then throw in the increased gain from going from a linearly
polarized feed to a CP feed.  And finally, the feed itself with a helix
is going to give better pattern performance (less spillover, etc.) than
the dipole feed of the BBQ.  Most people mount their BBQs in the
vertical direction (ie: horizontally polarized).  This is supposed to
give better performance on AO-40.  But I've heard that thermal noise
rising from the ground is also horizontally polarized and with the
antenna pointing skyward, the feed is looking at the ground and picking
up that noise.

I'll certainly let everyone know my results after I get a chance to get
my new antenna up.

73,

Jon
NA9D