Re: Re: Newbie Question: How do I know I am hearing the noise floor of the

Tracy,

In a manner, yes.  Whenever the transponder (mode-U or L) is on, the
satellite's receiver noise is re-transmitted on mode-S, even though there
is not signal on that particular frequency.  Its this noise that we call
the satellites "noise floor".  Uplink signals arriving at the satellite
that are weaker than that noise level will not be transponded (relayed)
back to earth leigibly.  So if you can hear that noise level then you can
hear any signal that AO-40 hears!

73 - Ed AL7EB