Re: Newbie Question: How do I know I am hearing the noise floor of the transponder?

Look for the noise floor to be higher than what you normally see. A quick
way to test it would be to point your dish away from the bird and see if
the noise floor drops. You can also tune outside the range of the
transponder to see if there is a noise floor change. In my case I
discovered it by accident, thinking my dish was too small(3' RHCP). Being a
perfectionist I attenuate my noise floor to s0 one Day it was at s2 to s3.
I thought I had hit one of the attenuators or something and spent the next
half hour trying to find the problem, then it occurred to me that I was
actually hearing the noise floor of the transponder. Now that I know what
to look for, I hear it most of the time when the squint is 10 or lower.

73's de wo5m

--
Randy Mclean(WO5M)
Track me or see were I have been at http://www.wo5m.net