Re: R: Downconverter noise

Dom,

Nice analysis but I have found that few commercial radios have s-meters
anywhere near calibration...the FT-847 I have averages 4 dB per s-unit but
varies from 3 to 5 dB and is very non-linear (tested with a commercial
signal generator - IFR-120).  Somewhere I have the actual measurements in
dBm, but didn't dig that out.  So to be accurate I would suggest one
actually test their receiver s-meter against a calibrated signal.  Then use
that information with your analysis.

For example the FT-847 has been tested for NF on an HP noise figure meter
and found to be 14 dB with the internal preamp off, and 8 dB with it on.
Looks like the FT-736R beats it (which comes as no surprize).

Ed - AL7EB