Re: AO-40 newbee

I could hear the MB about 15:00 UTC, almost due south of us on the east
coast. I was checking a few dishes with a AIDC3731AA (123MHz IF) and a
VR-500 handheld receiver.

To follow a couple of today's threads:

1. Yes, I could hear it (the MB)
2. I was using a VR-500 for the IF RX, and I get a solid S5 noise off my
downconverter --- yes, there is a lot of gain from the IF.
3. My silver mylar umbrella prototype for FD just ain't cutting it --
probably the shape irregularities. I was able to find a 68" fiberglass
strut golf umbrella, and some self-adhesive silver mylar from a
hydroponics shop. My 90 cm offset dish sill beats it, by at least 3db,
using the same patch feed on both.

http://webpages.charter.net/acito/FD2003/umbrelladish1.jpg

The silvered area of the umbrella is about 1m across.

Bill
W1PA