PCsat Triple hop!

During today's PCsat pass over the east coast, we saw N4ZQ relay a packet
via PCsat, then PCSAT2 (on our workbench) and then back to PCsat.  The
PCSAT2 was connected through 180' of coax to a WHIP antenna on the roof!
THe range between satellites was about 1000 km.

PCSAT2 is on the workbench connected to an outside antenna to burn it in.
We are waiting to see when it's 96 hour fail-safe timer times out.  I had
forgotten about the possibility of a dual hop test and in fact was just
about to go disconnect PCSAT2, because its packets were interfering with
my demo of PCsat I was showing to a new faculty member.

Anyway, too bad PCsat will probably not be around when PCSAT2 finally gets
to orbit at the end of this year.  THis ability to do multiple satellite
hops via multiple APRS satellites has long been a dream of the APRS
comnmunity.  We had previously demonstrated this capability between PCsat
and ISS several months ago, but only for a week, because it required ISS
to QSY to the PCSAT frequency.

But if every satellite that does UI digipeating operated on 145.825, then
we would have a mutually supporting constellation of satellites...

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

PCsat2 WEB  page    http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat2.html