Re: PCSAT2 (prototype) on AIR

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Don Woodward wrote:

> The TNC Pan looks like a cooking pan - am I right? Cool idea if so - and
> a huge savings I'll bet.

Yes, but this is just the prototype.  All the FLIGHT boards are being
assembled into the typical NASA boxes carved out of a solid chunk of
Aluminum.   And even the entire 2' by 2' by 6" spaceframe is also carved
out of two solid blocks of Aluminum.  Amazing way to do things!

When I ask why? they say beause it is just easier.  You dont have to worry
about multiple sides and tops and bottoms all fitting together and the
analysis of strength and vibration, etc is easier.  And you dont have to
do an analysis of all those fastners.  No wonder things cost
so much.