ICBM Conversion for Civilian Launch

I came across this research paper in my travels around
the internet.  The Russian SS-18 ICBM has already been
converted for civilian/scientific launch capability.
Perhaps someday AMSAT may have another ride to orbit.

A Conceptual Design for the Space Launch Capability of
the Peacekeeper ICBM [pdf]
http://www.asdl.gatech.edu/publications/pdf/2002/AIAA-2002-5854.pdf

The Peacekeeper Intercontinental Ballistic Missile was
originally intended for military use, but this paper
considers how minimal modifications could transform it
into a "rapid resupply system for the International Space
Station (ISS)." A detailed overview of many important
facets of the conceptual Peacekeeper Space Launch Vehicle
is given. Possible propulsion configurations, ISS inter-
facing equipment, and payload characteristics are com-
pared. An analysis of each of these items is shown and
a final recommendation is made based on the goal of
achieving maximum payload. The importance of this research
could be much greater in light of the Space Shuttle Columbia
disaster. This site is also reviewed in the May 23, 2003
_NSDL MET Report_.

73 de JoAnne WB9JEJ