USB Auto tracker, was Re: LabJack

Hello the Net,

I just installed the LABJACK model U12 and the NLSA piggyback board.
Both US  made.

What initially caught my eye was the use of a USB port on my new computer.
        No internal ISA or PCI boards, no external power supplies.
         NO serial RS-232 or parallel ports needed.

The LABJACK uses DC power from my PC and is connected thru the piggyback
board to the
Yaesu model G5400B az/el positioner.
The DIN/8 cable is supplied by NLSA, the NOVA folks, with the piggyback
board.

The LABJACK was about 120$ US plus shipping. NLSA piggyback board = 30$US

Installation was reasonable:
    with the Yaesu G5400B and the PC off, connect the LABJACK to the PC
USB port with the supplied USB cable.
    Add the piggyback board to the LABJACK
    connect the G5400B with the piggyback board using  the DIN/8
supplied cable.
    Power ON the G5400B and the PC
    After the PC is booted, insert the LABJACK CD into the CD reader and
do the setup, Mine was with XP home.
        After I inserted the LABJACK CD rom it auto sensed and started
the LABJACK setup program
    Start up NOVA for windows, I use 2.1v, and enable the antenna rotator.
    Most of the settings were default except for:
        set the LABJACK to use differential inputs NOT the single ended
inputs, AZ = AI0 and AI1, EL = AI2 and AI3
        Play with the offsets to suit your system. I limit maximum
elevation to 90 degrees not the 180 degrees.

I am still familiarizing myself with the NOVA setup and controls, but I
autotracked UO14 this morning on 2 passes
with out difficulty.  I am still creeping up the learning curve. Parking
after LOS and exit from NOVA is being pursued now.

Will the LABJACK system control the YAESU FT-847 transceiver for doppler
correction ? probably not, but Yet TBD.

Apparently multiple LABJACK units can control different az/el position
controllers. Utility TBD.

Overall, I think the LABJACK with piggyback board is the only
autotracker to use  USB

Stan, WA1ECF   FN41sr   Cape Cod