Special Satellite Event - LSU Balloon Project

Hello All,

Just wanted to pass along that myself, Justin W5JWP and Chris KD5UDB are
going to attempt to work UO-14, AO-27 and SO-50 today and tomorrow from
Palestine, Texas, EM21DS. We are on site with studens from the Louisiana
State University ACES Balloon Project.

LSU ACES Students have created special payloads which are going to be sent
via a helium balloon high into the sky. These payloads are specialized measuring
devices reporting data from Cosmic Rays to Air Temperature and Pressure.
We were scheduled to launch this morning, Tuesday, but due to bad weather
with an approaching front, the launch date has been moved up to Wednesday,
05/21.

Included in the payload is an APRS beacon, K5LSU-1, which Chris and I are
going to attempt to track after launch. If you want to see the current position
check out http://www.findu.com and lookup 'k5lsu-1'. Of course, if you are
in the Palestine Area and would like to assist we are always looking for
help and can be contacted on the 147.080+ repeater in Palestine.

During this time, Chris and I are going to try to work as many satellite
passes as possible. This morning we made a lot of contacts under my callsign,
W5JWP, and I appreciate everyone I was able to copy. Future contacts from
this area will be under the callsign K5LSU so that special QSL cards can
be made up. If you are around a satellite rig get on the air, we would like
to make as many contacts as possible.

Thanks and hope to work you on the birds...

73

--
Justin W. Pauler <justin@w5jwp.org>
http://www.w5jwp.org