From: Jon Ogden [mailto:na9d-2@speakeasy.net]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 5:52 AM
To: Bruce Bostwick; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] FCC Rules Amateur Satellite Service is NOT Primary
at 2400 MHz

on 5/15/03 7:27 PM, Bruce Bostwick wrote:

> I was going to say it sounded like a case of "well, the squatters are
> there, and we can't do anything about them now, so we guess you'll
> just have to live with them.." but that's just me being my paranoid
> self.
>
> however .. note "non-interference basis" .. I'd be willing to bet that
> if someone using a WiFi network knew he was living next door to a ham
> operator, and one day all of a sudden his wireless network started
> acting up, it wouldn't be long before he came knocking on the door
> demanding that said ham "cease and desist" ..

Before this all spirals out of control I still think there's a couple of
other issues that need to be looked at:

"This means that these operations are on an equal footing
with Part 15 devices."

In other words, we operate on a non-interference basis, BUT SO DO THEY! Part
15 rules specifically state: "This device may not cause interference and
this device MUST ACCEPT any interference including that which makes
operation undesirable."

So what the FCC is saying is that we must all get along together in the
sandbox and play nice.  And I think that can be done.  But we hams tend to
be the most "chicken little" and cynical people when it comes to obstacles.

If we start having problems with the interference, then it is up to us to
figure out some form of modulation, DSP, error correction, etc. that will be
immune to it.  We've got plenty of smart people in our community.

Yes, the ruling sucks, but that's life.  No one said that life should be the
way "I" want it.  Now we have to figure out ways to live with it and let's
enjoy the hobby in any way we can.

73,

Jon
NA9D