Re: Re: RE: [Fwd: ARLB035 FCC declines to grant amateur LF

Hi Jon,
Well on the details, no station is part of a "service" if it's listening only, at least not in the US.  I believe there are still some countries that require licensing of receivers but not for technical reasons :-)
A station in Amateur Satellite service would be one transmitting for the purpose of having that signal relayed by an amateur satellite.  Less clear is the classification of a station who "accidently" accesses a satellite; e.g., when RS-12/13 was in 15m uplink mode.
Certainly having Amateur be primary doesn't hurt the Satellite operator, for exactly the reasons you state.  If the FCC were inclined to slice thinly, however, an AO-40 operator couldn't complain to the FCC about cordless phone interference...but an ATV or other terrestrial user could.

> From: Jon Ogden <na9d-2@speakeasy.net>
> Date: 2003/05/19 Mon AM 10:48:31 EDT
> To: Scott Townley <nx7u@arrl.net>,  <cbuttsch@slonet.org>,
>    Gunther Meisse <gmouse@neo.rr.com>
> CC: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] RE: [Fwd: ARLB035 FCC declines to grant amateur LF
> 	 allocation; gives five channels at 5 MHz]
>
> on 5/16/03 8:27 PM, Scott Townley wrote:
>
> > "Amateur Satellite" is different from "Amateur", actually. As different as
> > "Amateur" is from "Broadcasting"...it's a completely different "service".
> > Technically, the FCC could license "Amateur Satellite" separately from
> > "Amateur", but they don't.
> > So the distinction is real.  Hams doing terrestrial at 2401MHz are
> > protected, but hams doing satellite at 2401 are not.
>
> It's very confusing for sure.  But what "station" is acting in satellite
> service?  Is it the satellite itself or does the ham on the ground beaming
> at the satellite count as satellite service?  And then does listening count
> as satellite service or would that be amateur service (after all, anyone can
> "listen".).
>
> So to me, the fact that amateur service has been granted primary has far
> more weight than the satellite service.  With the fact that our antennas are
> generally high gain and pointed skyward, the potential for interference to
> us is less.  And by granting the Amateur service primary status it WILL
> indeed help the Amateur Satellite service as perhaps more manufacturers will
> be inclined to default their 2.4 GHz equipment to other channels.
>
> Who knows.  Life goes on.
>
> 73,
>
> Jon
> NA9D